Author: Ruby Pathak
Recipe type: lunch
Rajasthan cuisine is a royal cuisine, mostly comprising of the lost recipes of the traditional Royal Maharaja families. Their passion for food is still being preserved in the historical food journals, and passed onto the family cooks and chefs for us to enjoy the taste of grandeur. Maachi Jaisamandi is a traditional fish recipe of Udaipur. Marinated fish fillets fried and cooked in a creamy rich gravy. Here the green chutney is layered in between two fish fillet then dipped in light batter to shallow fry. Yes, it is a little different but this is a delicious main course addition for your next family get together when served with saffron rice or pilaf.
- 300 grams Fish fillet
- Salt , to taste
- For the batter:
- 4 teaspoon Gram flour (besan)
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin powder
- Water , to make the batter
- 4 teaspoon Cooking oil
- For the green chutney:
- Coriander leaves (Dhania) , as required
- Mint Leaves (Pudina) , as required
- 1 Green Chilli
- ½ teaspoon Lemon juice
- For the Gravy:
- 100 ml Fresh cream
- 1 cup Yogurt (Curd)
- ¾ teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon Cooking oil
- To begin making the Maachli Jaisamandi recipe, firstly wash the fish fillet and cut into 8 equal pieces. Rub the pieces of fish with salt and rest them for 10 minutes.
- Take a bowl and mix together the ingredients for batter properly. Make sure that there are no lumps in it.
- Take a tall glass and beat well all the ingredients for gravy except oil and cumin seeds.
- Prepare the green chutney by add coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chilies and lemon juice into a mixer. Grind until it forms a smooth paste. Add salt and check for taste.
- To make the fish sandwich, layer one fish piece with the green chutney, then close with the second one. Finish making with the rest. Dip the fillet in light batter.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan with oil. Dip the sandwiched fillets of fish in the batter and add them one by one. Shallow fry the fish sandwiches for a minute and flip onto the other side. Fry the fish for another minute or 2 and take them off the flame and keep aside.
- In the same wok add some more oil on a low flame and add cumin seeds. Let the cumin seeds crackle. Add the gravy mixture into the wok. Let it cook until a few bubbles start to appear. Turn off the flame.
Please follow and like us: