Uttarakhand Style Black Gram Chainsoo
Author: Ruby Pathak
Recipe type: Main
A traditional Garhwali recipe to support the energy level of Uttaranchal locals that helps them to survive the extreme weather and boost energy. Easy recipe to follow and the additional change of cooking method will break the monotony of using Black Gram dal for daily cooking. A high protein dish so be cautious in consuming a bigger portion. Simply roasting and later grinding makes all the difference in aroma, but once you try to cook it you will come to know and will use with other ingredients to suit your taste palette like onion, tomatoes and garam masala powder.
- ½ cup Arhar dal
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon Whole Black Pepper Corns
- 2 teaspoon Cooking oil
- 1-1/4 cup Water
- 2 Dry red chilli
- Salt , to taste
- To begin making Black Gram Chainsoo Recipe, first heat a Kadhai and dry roast the dal for few minutes until you can smell the aroma. Set aside.
- Once it is cooled down, grind the dry mixture to a fine powder. Heat a heavy bottomed kadhai with oil, temper with red chilli and pepper corns.
- Add all the masalas including coriander powder, sumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt with 2 tablespoons water and fry for a minute. Add the powdered dal, mix it up and then add water.
- Cook on medium to low flame stirring occasionally until thickens for 20-30 minutes. Once it is done, switch off the gas and serve hot.
- Serve Uttarakhand Style Black Gram Chainsoo along with Steamed Rice and Spicy Baby Potatoes for your weekday lunch.
Please follow and like us: